We’ve been back in the London flat for a few weeks and the broadband speeds have been variable. Over the weekend my trusty Netgear DG834G router was reporting a connection (to Zen Internet) of 5617 kbps but the broadband speedtester on thinkbroadband.com was reporting actual download speeds of only 1027 kbps i.e. only one meg. Time to try to get some improvement.
Searching through the thinkbroadband forums I soon came across references to kitz.co.uk, a site dedicated to ADSL and broadband. There I found this page which explains the different kinds of BT telephone sockets and how to disconnect the ring wire if you don’t need extension sockets in your property. I duly disconnected the orange ring wire and fired everything back up. The router connection speed jumped from 5617 to 6653 kbps but the speedtest result jumped up to over 4000 kbps! Quite an improvement!
I’ve now got a BT Broadband Accelerator on order, which may improve the speed even more, and, since I’m in a Virgin fibre optic area, I’m thinking about signing up to Virgin Media’s XXL 50Mb service.